The essential tools for taking care of an operation are ‘Human Hands.’ A patient, who is hoping for answers and healing remedies, is diagnosed and cured by your hands; they could be either sanitized and clean or a portal and transmitter of infection.
Surgical site infections significantly contribute to a failed surgery; which rather would’ve been a successful one. Therefore, you could consider hand washing to be the simplest way to control infection.
General surgeries, which focus on the abdominal contents of a human body, can lead to spreading various infections.
Function of Surgical Hand Scrub
There are several purposes of a surgical hand scrub all resulting in an infection less surgical procedure:
- Transient microorganisms and removing debris from hands, nails, and arm
- Minimal count of resident microbial count
- Inhibition of rapid rebound growth of microorganisms
Surgical Hand Scrub Techniques
Before entering the surgical suite, you should be performing a hand and arm scrub. There are two methods involved in a hand scrub:
- Stroke method: In which you scrub your fingers, palm, back of the hand and arm a certain number of times. The facility predesignates the brush strokes.
- Timed Scrub: Depending upon the facility protocol, each scrub should last from 3 to 5 minutes.
The fundamental principle is just; to wash your hands thoroughly from a cleaner area to a less clean area.
Characteristics of a Surgical hand scrub
The performance of a good Hand Scrub depends on these four categories:
- Antimicrobial Action: You should choose an agent with a broad range of antimicrobial activity against pathogenic organisms. As the agent (Hand Scrub) would only be effective if it works rapidly
- Persistent Activity: An ideal agent should offer a continuing activity; which helps you keep the bacteria; count low under the gloves. It’s quite important as studies have shown bacteria growth is faster in gloved rather than ungloved hands
- Safety: The agent should be safe on the body, and not damaging the skin and the environment
- Acceptance: This is the most important as take an example of a product that possesses all the characteristics as mentioned above but the user population fails to support its use. Acceptance of a good product is very crucial for its success
All the four characteristics reserve importance in their rights, and should be present for a complete package.
Benefits of a Hand Scrub
A hygienic hand scrub whether it may be traditional/ alcoholic is essential to be carried before surgery. Hence, Surgical Hand Scrub helps to prevent infections, in turn, saving lives of many.